Carrot Cake and Tea is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
For more information read the Entire Affiliate Disclosure.
NAME OF COUNTRY: CAMBODIA
A super fast and easy dish to put together — very tasty too!
What Is Lok Lak?
First founded in Vietnam, Lok Lak founded its way into Cambodia and is now the country’s national dish. Its Vietnamese name is originally called bò lúc lắc, which translates into English as bò “beef” and lúc lắc “stir” or “shake”.
Khmer (Cambodian) Lok Lak consists of sliced beef, which is marinated, then cooked in a wok (this is the wok I use) or high-heated pan, and finally placed on a bed of fresh vegetables, such as lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. Lok Lak is often accompanied by steamed white rice and fried eggs.
Best Lok Lak Recipe Tips
- Lok Lak can be cooked with chicken, pork, shrimp, but it is traditionally prepared with beef.
- This dish can be eaten in two ways: 1) with a fork as if you’re eating a salad or 2) as a lettuce wrap, filled with beef and vegetables.
- To make Lok Lak tastier, Cambodians would dip the beef in a simple sauce made of pepper, salt, and lime juice.
- 2 lb Beef Tenderloins, sliced
- 6-8 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1. Mix together sugar, salt, Chinese cooking wine, oyster sauce, soy sauce, ketchup, and sesame oil with the sliced beef tenderloins in a bowl. Set aside.
- 2. Heat a wok or a pan and set to high. Add cooking oil and garlic cloves. Keep stirring the garlic so that it does not burn.
- 3. Once the garlic turns brown and releases its fragrance, add the marinated beef with the liquid and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until desired level of doneness.
- 4. On a large serving plate, arrange washed lettuce leaves to cover the plate, then place sliced tomatoes on top of the lettuce. Put sliced onions on top of the tomatoes. Lastly, pour the beef with the sauce onto the onions. Serve immediately. Enjoy!